BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 29, 2010

My take on the iPad

I'm kinda late on this post since I wasn't sure if I should take on this post since my blog focuses more on mobile technology and the like, though Apple's iPad might not be a mobile phone, I have come to a conclusion that I will write an article about it albeit a short one. The iPad, along with the other Apple devices, certainly caused some stir around the tech industry when good 'ol Stevie J. announced the product, oh and he did say that this will be "better than a netbook". Does it live up to the same expectation and impact that the iPhone left behind? I don't think so, not yet.

The iPad had a gorgeous screen, a 9.7" capacitive multi touch capable one to be exact, a 1GHz processor (Apple A4) which was Apple's, e-book capabilities, and ermm a home key, yeah that! Based on the photos, since I wasn't there though I did wish I was there, the iPad looks stunning and without a doubt leaves a pretty good first impression but dig deeper and you might get disappointed. It doesn't support multi tasking, no flash support, no USB port, no SD card slot, no removable battery, no camera even just a front facing one would have done, and the optional $130 add on for 3G seems pretty much steep. The $499 price tag seems wonderful to begin with, but 3G nowadays is a must so add $130 dollars then voilah! you get it for $629 for a 16 gig version while the 32 gig will set you $599 without 3G/729 with 3G and the 64 gig at $699 without 3G/829 with 3G.

There are three things that irritate me the most, the lack of flash support, multi tasking and USB port. These three are not new technologies, they have been here with us for years yet Apple, being themselves, purportedly did not include it. Oh apple, the Nokia N900 has flash 9 support while the Palm Pre will have flash 10.1 as well when webOS 1.4 rolls out. Multitasking has been a no brainer for the other companies, especially with Palm and Samsung showing off their powers.
The USB port? Need I say more?

I do not hate Apple nor do I worship them, I was almost jumping into the Apple bandwagon but they seem firm to not let me...yet. All these may not be deal breakers for others but it surely will be for me. Now, will I say that the iPad is a winner? In my eyes not yet, for others its drop dead the "most advanced" peace of tech they have ever seen, don't ask me why. But will it be a success, I still believe that it will, with the strong support of the Apple fanboys (blind ones to be exact), along with the strong developers community it will make the iPad all the more worth it. Oh, and a kick stand would have been a nice add on too, though you can buy a case with a kick stand. Other accessories include a keyboard dock, a dock alone, a camera connection kit, and a 10W USB power adapter.

Now, that wasn't too long, was it?

0 comments:

 
Follow brentonang on Twitter